5 Jan 2013

Coursebooks vs Online-Only Study

Following recent online conversations considering the future of printed course materials in a digital age, we wanted to clarify The Open University’s position.

Our core business is to deliver a high quality, cost effective and flexible learning experience. Technology plays an increasingly important role in learning, and we will continue to design, develop and deliver the most engaging experience to meet the changing needs of our students. Course/module teams consider the most appropriate media for the subject area (including interactivity), and provide the support needed to enable students to benefit from technology enhanced learning – this means some courses may be wholly online, but many others still have a print element.

Our commitment to student satisfaction meant that we came top in the National Student Survey last year, with a 93 per cent satisfaction rating. The OU has been in the top three universities every year since the survey began in 2005. 
- The Open University, Facebook, 3rd January 2013
There are increasing rumours that The Open University plans to make all it's courses online only. Some modules are already online only (largely in mathematics and science) and increasing amounts of course materials are now only available online. For my last module, EVERYTHING was printed and sent to me. There were multiple online support forums, but that aside, the only thing I needed the internet for was information about exams and submission of assignments. On my current module, my study calendar is online (not a problem) , exam guidance (not yet a problem) and the assignment guide (very much a problem). 
The OU already provide module materials in many different formats, automatically. All the coursebooks (five on this module, plus two resource books) are available as PDF files. This is invaluable when writing assignments, as you can use the search function to find things faster. The transcripts of audio and video materials are also available. 
Part of the reason I never went to a brick university (aside from apathy/lack of A levels/lack of money) was that I do not learn well from listening. If I have audio/visual material to work through, I just tune out. If I read the transcript along with it, I can pick it up and absorb it. Otherwise, they may as well mumble off. Coursebooks, for me, are like written lectures. 
I don't learn well from simply reading either: I don't think anybody does. I read, I highlight, I make notes, I link back to stuff I've read before and at the end of the unit, I write all my notes up and then forget about them. You simply cannot do that as well through a computer alone. I've been using computers since I was a child, type far more than I handwrite and browse hundreds of webpages a week, but I do not retain the information. If my modules went online only, I'd have to print off the coursebooks. And that would cost a fortune.
In my current module, which is being replaced by an up to date one in the next academic year, much physical material  is wasted. I have four audio CDs, with a total of about 90 minutes audio on them. There is a DVD with about 45 minutes of film on it. Why hasn't this been amalgamated onto one disc before? There are two resource books with loads of empty pages reading *This offprint is no longer in use*. Fine. Remove the page then? If cost is the reason that the OU are looking to reduce physical materials, they would do well to first check the materials in use are not wasteful.
If the coursebooks went online-only, I would hope more online activities would be provided to engage the learner. I also would expect a reduction in module cost. However, I don't want my modules to go online. When you study at home, especially if you're mainly in the house all day, it can be struggle to remember that you are a student. You don't go anywhere else to study, you may be lucky enough to have a special place to learn, but it's more likely you study where there is space (all mine's done at the dining room table). One thing that helps to psychologically separate study time from normal activity is the books. It sets the tone, reminds you that you ARE learning, turns the dinner table into a desk. They serve to remind those around you that you're not just browsing the web. 
Technology should be utilised to improve the learning experience, but part of the joy of learning is having something tangible to look at, and look back on. Books will never be obsolete.
There is a petition to this end here.

1 comment:

  1. I HATED that in my last course my assessment booklet was online. I only found it via the forums (which I despised as it was full of people showing off and made me feel stupid).

    I also don't do well listening; I never bothered to listen to any of the audio for any of the courses I studied with the OU.

    I'd have a hard time studying everything off a computer, because it's just not as easily accessible and convenient as a coursebook. I took them to work with me; I could have attempted to read them off my phone if I got a wifi connection but it's not exactly ideal.

    I shall sign the petition!

    ReplyDelete