24 Jan 2012

Getting To Know You

The boy has been de-tonsilled! His recovery wasn't entirely uneventful, as he had some bleeding last week which culminated in a midnight dash to A+E. However, he is now almost back to normal, and life can continue. Huzzah!

So, as my start date looms closer (10 days. Erk.), I've been flicking around course forums online.
The first port of call was the OUSA course forums. K101 runs twice a year as it's one of the most popular modules, but the forum mainly consists of people about to start who are looking for others in their area, or who are paralysed by terror. For most, this is the first time they've done university-level education.

I asked for people in my city, and found quite a few. Everyone seemed polite, even though the forums aren't strenuously moderated, and obeyed the rules.

I found a link to the facebook group for my course start date and joined that. I'd been there two minutes and noticed a flame war had broken out on a post bitching about course fee grants, to the extent that someone had actually decided to withdraw from the course! Some people have run through their 'first week induction' already. And some people have already read unit 1 and started writing their first TMA! The course website doesn't open until tomorrow!

I've added a few people on facebook already. I don't normally add randoms on facebook, but I may well bump into these folk in Real Life, so may as well.

I've had an introduction letter from my tutor, who seems very well suited to the job and friendly. Nobody wants a dragon for a tutor.

I'm starting to look forward to it. The fear has been greatly assuaged by reading the forums and knowing others are just as terrified as I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment