11 Sept 2011

Preparation (I may have bitten off more than I can chew)

Initially, I was jut going to do K101 - An Introduction To Health and Social Care, and see how it went. My financial application arrived and I sent it off merrily. I got accepted onto the course, all was well.

But then I had delusions of grandeur and convinced myself to try for a BSc in Health and Social Care. Erk. Erk. Erk.

So, my course begins on 4th February. I have already obtained my textbooks from a lovely friend who did the same course a few years ago. I now need to get a desktop computer and printer. Oh, and pretty stationery. I have a lust for matching, beautiful stationery. And a desk. Oh, and a computer chair. I moved house three months ago and actually have a dedicated library/study in my spare bedroom. It's purple. So, I must create an optimal working space. Any excuse...

And academically speaking, I need to make an effort to prepare my brain. I have a toddler and a four month old son. For most of the last year, I have been pregnant or being woken up in the night for MILK. I've lost my ability to concentrate fully, to sit and read a book for a length of time, to write properly, to absorb information. 'Tis the lot of any new mother, but being single as well has exacerbated it since my every waking moment and most of my sleeping moments, revolve around a demanding toddler and a little baby. My ex doesn't yet have my baby because he's exclusively breastfed. However, come February, he should be having my toddler regularly overnight and my baby for days out. So, I shall have suitable time to learn.

However, I haven't done any independant studying for so long that I need to break myself back in. So I'm doing a few OpenLearn courses to make me think. I'm also trying to read more. Since I had my youngest, I've probably read one new book. I've mainly been re-reading non challenging fare. I need to get back into the habit of reading and absorbing.

I want to do well. Since my personal life failed so tragically last year, I feel the need to prove myself in other fields. I should add that I do have a rather splendid, supportive boyfriend, but he lives many miles away.

I have major wibbles about once a week, which is absurd because I have five months to panic madly and I have demonised this to such an extent that it cannot possibly be that bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment